Press Release: Juniper Research forecasts Mobile Money Transfers Opportunity for Service Providers to exceed $5bn by 2013
Hampshire, UK – 13th August 2008: A new analysis by Juniper Research forecasts that Service Provider revenues, derived from mobile money transfer services and remittances, will exceed $5bn globally by 2013 - based on the commissions and charges that they will acquire from the gross value of money transactions made, both domestically within countries and internationally.
In the third report in its Mobile Payments Series, Juniper Research found that there is a significant opportunity for the providers and vendors of mobile money transfer services as the market takes off, beginning as soon as 2010. The study explores how mobile money transfer will transform the ability of the ‘underbanked’ population and migrant workers to make remittances, using their mobile phones as mobile wallets.
Report author Howard Wilcox provided some insight into this new market: "New services and trials are being announced almost every day. Judging from the response from users so far to services like M-PESA and SmartMoney, prospects for these services are excellent, both in developing and developed countries. For many people it has been costly and difficult for them to transfer money via existing services even to friends and family: using mobile phones solves the problem."
Highlights from the report include:
• Global annual gross transaction value (including the remittance itself) will grow over 10 times between 2009 and 2013
• The opportunity for companies providing these new services is forecast to exceed $5bn by 2013.
• The top 3 regions (W. Europe, Africa and Middle East and Far East & China) will represent over 60% of the global mobile money transfer gross transaction value by 2013.
The report provides six year regional forecasts of mobile money transfers and remittances, providing data on subscriber take-up, transaction sizes and volumes for both national (domestic) and international transactions. Crucially, the report identifies the incremental ARPU opportunity for mobile network operators, arising from these new services. The report also offers detailed case studies from companies pioneering in this market. Juniper Research interviewed 14 key vendors and operators active in this market.
Whitepapers and further details of the study, “Mobile Payment Markets: Money Transfers and Remittances 2008-2013” can be freely downloaded from www.juniperresearch.com. Alternatively please contact John Levett at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +44(0)1256 830002.
Further reports in the Mobile Payments Series are:
• Mobile Payment Markets: Digital and Physical Goods 2008-2013 (published in July 2008)
• Mobile Payment Markets: Contactless NFC 2008-2013 (published in July 2008)
Juniper Research provides research and analytical services to the global hi-tech communications sector, providing consultancy, analyst reports and industry commentary.
- Mobile Payment Markets - Money Transfers & Remittances 2008-2013