Press Release: 722 million Mobile Business Connections by 2014, Driven by Smarter Devices and High Speed Connectivity According to Juniper Research
Hampshire, UK: Wednesday 6th May 2009 – Wider availability of wireless broadband networks, proliferation of 'smart' converged devices, and broadening ranges of mobile connectivity solutions will foster growth of 'unwired enterprises', a new report from Juniper Research has found. In particular approximately 80% of business mobile devices will be operating via 3.5/3.9G networks by 2014.
By that time, 722 million business mobile connections will be in use worldwide; this will represent an overall increase of almost 60% over the forecast period covered by the report.
Throughout, handsets will dominate, accounting for upwards of 70% of business devices in the latter part of the period. However, businesses will increasingly make use of embedded and plug-in wireless modems (so-called 'dongles') via laptop PCs and the new generation of netbooks to increase the effectiveness of employees in the field.
Report author Andrew Kitson believes that the rapid evolution of mobile computing devices is of particular relevance. "By the end of 2009, portables will account for around 60% of annual PC sales, suggesting that businesses are placing less emphasis on desktop machines and investing on combined laptop-and-phone packages for employees. As 3G networks proliferate, so it will become more cost effective to replicate the desktop solution with a wireless device." And with dongles proving to be easy to lose or damage, so businesses will increasingly turn to inexpensive notebooks incorporating wireless accesses.
Other findings include:
• Usage of wireless dongles is losing ground to usage of devices with embedded wireless modems and will peak in 2010/2011
• The number of enterprise portable computers with embedded wireless connectivity will grow by more than 300% between 2008 and 2014
• Annual portable computer shipment volumes will exceed 300 million by 2014, accounting for over three quarters of all computer shipments that year
• Revenues generated by mobile enterprise service usage worldwide will grow to $247 billion by 2014
Whitepapers and further details of the study 'Future Mobile Enterprise: Forecasts, Markets & Devices 2009-2014' can be freely downloaded from http://www.juniperresearch.com. Alternatively, please contact John Levett at email@example.com, telephone +44 (0)1256 830002.
Juniper Research provides research and analytical services to the global hi-tech communications sector, providing consultancy, analyst reports, and industry commentary.
- Future Mobile Enterprise - Forecasts, Markets & Devices 2009-2014