Press Release: mHealth Users of Remote Health Monitoring to Reach 3 million by 2016: Smartphones Play Leading Role
Hardware Peripheral Market to Gain Traction
Hampshire, UK - 2nd February 2012: A burgeoning market for healthcare peripherals and increasing smartphone processing power will result in the number of patients monitored by mobile networks to rise to 3 million by 2016, finds Juniper Research's latest report on the mHealth sector.
Remote patient monitoring, using the smartphone as a hub, will also lower the cost of mHealth services by reducing the need for costly tailored devices.
Cardiac Monitoring Leads the Field
The new Juniper report finds that the monitoring of cardiac outpatients is currently leading the field, as insurance reimbursement in the US market plays a key role. However, in time the management of diabetes and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder) and other chronic diseases will play an important role in the remote patient monitoring market.
"Remote patient monitoring will step in to reduce the cost burden of unhealthy lifestyles and aging populations," says report author Anthony Cox. But while remote patient monitoring is already showing both positive medical outcomes and cost savings over outpatient care, more trials would still benefit mHealth in order to further convince the medical establishment of its benefits, finds Juniper Research.
Further findings from the report include:
· Mobile Healthcare and medical App downloads will reach 44 million in 2012, Rising to 142 Million in 2016
· Clarification from the US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) on which mHealth apps will require FDA approval is still required but is expected to add further impetus to the market.
· Developing markets continue to benefit from SMS-based education programmes and stand to benefit in medium term from app-based healthcare services such as mobile ultrasound that are now being developed
· EHR (electronic health records) have yet to gain significant traction even in developed markets but in the long term will become an important component of mHealth offerings
A complimentary mHealth whitepaper and further details of the full study can be downloaded from the Juniper Research website.
Juniper Research provides research and analytical services to the global hi-tech communications sector, providing consultancy, analyst reports and industry commentary.
T: +44(0)1256 830 001
- Mobile Healthcare Opportunities - Smartphone Apps, Monitoring & mHealth Strategies 2011-2016
- Mobile Healthcare Opportunities Interactive Forecast Suite - Smartphone Apps, Monitoring & mHealth Strategies 2011-2016
- The Mobile Healthcare Opportunity - Monitoring, Applications & mHealth Strategies 2010 - 2014