Press Release: Mobile gambling wagers to approach $12bn within 3 years, according to Juniper Research
HAMPSHIRE, UK September 26th, 2007 - The increasing deployment of multiple mobile payment technologies and liberalisation of remote gambling legislation in key markets is expected to push total annual wagers on mobile phones to nearly $12bn by 2010, according to a new report by Juniper Research.
Mobile lotteries are expected to be the most popular service by the end of the forecast period, with more than 380m users worldwide.
According to report author Dr Windsor Holden, "Mobile lotteries have already experienced significant levels of adoption in the Far East, while we envisage that European state lotteries will increasingly embrace the mobile environment in the medium term."
The report added that growth would also be fuelled by market liberalisation such as the UK's Gambling Act which came into force on September 1, and by proposed amendments to existing legislation elsewhere in Europe. Furthermore, it suggested that in the longer term, there would also be opportunities in the US market.
"The intimations from the US are that the act will be repealed or at least reformed," said Holden. "Should that be the case, then, facilitated by location-based technologies, in-state mobile lotteries, betting and possibly casino services will be available in that market by 2010."
Other findings from the report include:
• Global gross win from mobile gambling services will rise from just $106m in 2007 to $3.2bn in 2012.
• The UK is currently the largest single market for mobile gambling services, although it will be overhauled by the US by 2012
• Adoption in emerging markets will be boosted by the introduction of cash-based payment systems such as Spin3's On-Cash
Juniper Research assesses the current and future status of mobile user-generated content based on interviews, case studies and analysis from representatives of some of the leading organisations in the growing mobile user-generated content industry.
White papers and further details of the study 'Mobile Gambling: Casinos, Lotteries and Betting 2007-2012 (Fourth edition)' can be freely downloaded from http://www.juniperresearch.com
Alternatively please contact John Levett at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone +44(0)1256 830002/889555.
Juniper Research provides research and analytical services to the global hi-tech communications sector, providing consultancy, analyst reports and industry commentary.
- Mobile Gambling. - Casinos, Lotteries & Betting, 2006-2011 (Third Edition - superseded by Edition 4)
- Mobile Gambling. - Casinos, Lotteries & Betting (Edition 2 - superseded by Edition 3)
- Mobile Gambling. - Casinos, Lotteries & Betting (First Edition) (Superseded by second edition)
- Mobile Gambling. - Casinos, Lotteries & Betting 2007-2012 (Fourth Edition)
- Mobile Gambling Markets Re-Assessed - (Post US Legal Changes), 2006-2011